Sunday, July 15, 2007

Retro Knit Sunday!


We were out of town on Friday, driving to Monterey for business. After dropping my husband off at his office, I made my first stop at Knitting-By-The-Sea in Carmel. They had a lovely selection of sock yarn, and the location could not be prettier. I got about 4 skeins of sock yarn to enlarge the stash, including some solid color lime green to knit a pair of lace texture socks.

In other news, the green sweater is all finished. I was happy at how this turned out, and it really looks good on M. The low 'U' neckline is surprisingly attractive. I am now assembling the fuchsia pink version with a slightly higher neckline and cable-fronts.

I inherited a box of knitting and crochet patterns from my husband's aunt. Apparently, she liked to send away for this brand of patterns, which were advertised in magazines and the Parade magazine insert that came in the newspapers. She never actually made up any of the items, just liked buying the patterns, I guess.

The first two patterns are from the sixties and are shift dresses with front detailing. Both are quite nice looking.











This A-line dress is a little strange, and I wonder if anyone ever really made this one up.




This little cape pattern is crocheted, and is from the 50's. This would look great with those retro dresses lots of people are sewing now.






This cardigan, crocheted in a pineapple design, looks very nice in the illustration. I wonder how these designs looked in real life, but that would depend on the yarn and the skill of the person who made it.





I don't know why this pattern is called 'Knitted Suit" because it only includes patterns for 4 skirts.

A crocheted summer topper.






A boxy jacket from the early sixties done by joining individual motifs. A lot of these patterns are attractive, usable designs.




M and I were discussing the next sweater to make, after I put together the fuchsia pink cardigan. We decided that I should make a heather grey pullover version of the green cardigan with some kind of cable panel up the center front. To that end, I broke out my copy of Viking Knitting to choose one of the cable patterns. I think I am going to knit the cable pattern by hand, then seam it into the pullover, which will be knit on the machine. I do this by knitting the ribbings, putting all the stitches on holders except for the panel stitches, adding extra stitches for seaming on the sides of the panel, and knitting it up. But first I have to set the sleeves into the fuchsia pink sweater.

No comments: