Friday, July 27, 2007

Retro Knit Friday!


Today we will have a blast from the past and visit the mod sixties. This Columbia Minerva booklet from the late sixties features mostly shift dresses in knit and crochet. We will also have a few celebrity sightings. The yarns used in these dresses were of a woven nylon tricot (Tropicale) and of a linen-like synthetic (Scamper). The cover shows two mini-dresses, the one on the left knitted, and the one on the right crocheted.



While you are looking at the wonder of these two dresses, note the model on the right who is none other than Cybill Shepherd of Moonlighting fame.





The pink dress is not too bad, it is just that the proportions are off somehow on this model. Note the model on the right who is Jennifer O'Neill from the Summer of '42, which at the time the picture was taken was about 3 years into her future.









Here's Cybill again in a nice little dress and jacket combo. I can remember how uncomfortable mini-dresses were, especially in school. You really had to watch how you sat, and later on, teacher friends would tell me how they had to keep their vision focused above the heads of their audience because the girl students were providing such a graphic view.


I have started the grey sweater but haven't made much progress yet. I got distracted putting up the millions of apples that needed processing into applesauce. This morning I packaged up the last of the sauce and froze it. Now I have over 30 pints of applesauce waiting for winter.



This is the cable M has chosen for the grey sweater. It looks fairly easy, just have to follow the chart.









Here are a few ideas I am working on. I really like this sweater for M. It is from the Nashua Handknits North American Designer Collection No. 4. I like the crossover front and lace midriff.



This sweater from Interweave Spring 07 has some interesting design features also. I like the ribbing at the midriff and the lace details. I would make it with sleeves of some kind though and put a better border around the V neckline. The tie belt is out of proportion to the sweater and detracts from it.
Looks like it will be a little warmer today so I had better go turn on the AC. Tomorrow A is coming over to visit so I am going to make meatballs and gravy for dinner.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I LURVE that last one. I think it's Norah's.