Saturday, July 7, 2007

Retro Knit Saturday!

I knit the green sweater in two days of morning knitting. The back and one front were done on one day, and the other front and two sleeves the next day. Now I have to put them together and do the bands by hand. Meanwhile, I have been planning the next cardigan, this time in fuchsia pink. As you can see, I have knit the ribbing and made the yarn cakes. The green sweater is for M, but the pink will be for me.



Yesterday I went to a local thrift shop and found these old knitting pamphlets. Most are from the sixties, but one is from the fifties.


I love the Bernat Handicrafter booklets and have quite a few of them. Some of them have pictures of other volumes on the back cover, so I keep looking for the ones I don't have yet. This one is Book No. 41 from 1954. It has "Jumbo Knits for The Family".


The cover shows a version of the boxy jacket popular in the fifties. The most popular version has turn back cuffs on elbow length sleeves, but this version has longer sleeves with standard ribbed cuff. It is knit at 3 sts/inch with a bulky weight yarn.

I particularly like this shrug, and may make one for my younger daughter. It is knit in knitting worsted weight on size 10 needles at 4 sts/inch. The little girl version is cute, too.




This jacket has 3/4-length sleeves and two colors of bulky yarn knit at 3 sts/inch. The pockets are real pockets, not just for show, and there are no buttons.




Two more classy jackets, one short and boxy and both with cuffs, and one in a pattern stitch. Both are knit of the bulky yarn, Bernat Cuddlespun at 3 sts/inch.


Today is much cooler, so I am planning to listen to a murder mystery and knit on the fuchsia pink sweater. M is off to Disneyland with friends, and joked about seeing the green sweater all finished when she returns in a few days, but this is not going to happen. It will be months before it is cool enough to wear anyway, unless she goes into the City, which is famously cold during the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, RedPajamaMamma,
Do you know which bulky cuddlespun is? The #5 or the #6? I just got some old patterns and I can't find the weights of so many discontinued yarns. But some of the patterns are awfully cute.
Thanks,
Susan

redpajamamama said...

I think it was a #5. It was wool and nylon and an old yarn book of mine says the ball had 85 yds and got 4 sts/inch on about size 9 needles. The pamphlet shows a sweater knit in Cuddlespun in plain stockinette and calls for size 15 needles at 3 sts/inch but the knitting is looser than usual. #6 yarns say they get 6 - 11 sts/4 inches, which is seems thicker.

Here's what #5 is supposed to be: Bulky weight Yarn. Wraps per inch in finished yarn is 8 or less. Yards per pound: wool 500-800, cotton 400-600. Gauge per Inch 2-3½. Needle sizes U.S. 10-11. Hook size I-M.

Hope this helps.