Monday, November 12, 2007

Retro Knit Monday!

Had a very busy weekend. I went with my daughter and sister to the bead show in Oakland. I was not really in a bead-buying mood so I only picked up a few things and a present for Beanie, but M bought quite a few things. From there, we headed over to the peninsula to pick up A. After another tour of A's new apartment and a stop for delicious Thai food, we went to the Event Center in San Mateo for the Creative Festival. I was looking for a computer program to draft sewing patterns, but most of the booths had quilting fabric and patterns. So most of my birthday money is still unspent. On Sunday, the spouse and I searched for a new vacuum cleaner and were ultimately successful. My criteria for a vacuum cleaner are simple: well rated by Consumer Reports, doesn't fall over and hit me when I am using the wand attachments, and doesn't require remortgaging my house to afford it.

My weekend knitting was pretty sparse. I am almost done with a watch cap for the spouse to match his new socks. I also found two more sock colors for him, a tan and a grey. Hopefully I will be able to make another pair or two before his birthday.


These vintage knits were also from the Fleisher's Vol. 91. The top sweater is an evening sweater with angora yarn around the neckline and smocked darts. The darts are a panel of p3, k1, p3, k1, p3 which are embroidered later with metal thread to resemble a smocking stitch. It is knit at 8 sts/inch in a yarn with the cute name of 'Twinklette'.

The bottom picture is of an angora shrug. The instructions are only 2" long, since it is a simple rectangle with cuffs at both ends, sewn up about 10 " from edge of cuffs. It is knit on Size 10 needles at 4 sts/inch.


This classic dress has kimono-style sleeves and a texture trim at midriff, cuffs, and hem. It is also knit of Twinklette at 6 sts/inch on size 7 needles for the bodice and size 8 for the skirt.




This dress is called 'Basic Dress'. It starts off with a basic ribbed skirt, and the ribs are carried up into the bodice and echoed on the cuffs and collar. I don't know what to say about that hat, it seems to be a throwback to 1895.
This dress is very Hollywood. It has a draped and wrapped bodice, kimono sleeves, and skirt with ribbed godets. It is knit in a textured yarn at 7 1/2 sts per inch. You can imagine Lana Turner wearing a dress like this.





The next dress is a two-piece 'Middy Dress' with a knife pleated skirt. Look at the nice crisp pleats you can achieve with ribbing and slip stitches, although I think I would be daunted by directions that started with 'Cast on 650 stitches'. Most skirts started at the bottom and were decreased gradually up to the waistline. The top has set-in 3/4 sleeves and a low cowl neckline.


My plans for today are to finish off the watch cap and start a new pair of husband socks.

No comments: