Monday, November 26, 2007

29 Days Left Until Christmas

Though I am busy sewing Christmas presents, I am also thinking of the next sweater. Here are the ribbings ready to go in a bright apple green. The color is so strong that I am just going to make a plain cardigan with 3/4 sleeves. It will look very nice with navy blue wardrobe items.


M gave me these two colors of Lion Brand Baby Soft. These are not your usual blah baby pastels, and they go together so well. Our Joann's does not carry these two colors but M found them in LA when she was visiting a friend. The colors are a pinky lavender called 'Violet' (Color No. 191) and a great soft acid green called 'Pistachio' (Color No. 170). I only have one ball of each, but I want to use them together, so maybe a hat and some mittens. These balls have 5 ozs and 459 yds each, and this yarn knits up easily and well on the machine.

I was reading the BrainyLady knitting blog (http://brainylady.blogspot.com/) and Alison showed her old book, The Complete Book of Knitting. This reminded me that I also have that book, so I went to look at it again. This is a wonderful old book from 1947 with many old patterns in it. Alison is making some great mittens from this book, which I would like to make when I have the time. One of my favorite patterns in this old volume is the ruffled bedjacket. I love the idea of bedjackets, because it brings to mind cozy evenings reading in bed. This particular jacket has an interesting ruffled edging that would look good on a baby item too. I have long wanted to knit a baby dress, and this ruffle would look good on the bottom edge of the skirt and sleeves. The jacket is trimmed with velvet ribbon. You don't see much done with velvet ribbon anymore, but I remember it from my early childhood on some of my little dresses.


























I still have two sweaters to assemble, the V-neck pullover in Fiesta and the Ranch Red cardigan, but that will not stop me from starting anything new. I am in the home stretch on the second tan sock, and may start some hats for Christmas gifts.

1 comment:

Alison said...

It's true -- that bed jacket is a highlight. I suppose you could tuck a tissue into one of those front-corner pockets, but not much more!