Friday, November 30, 2007

Retro Knit Friday!

I picked up this booklet at the thrift shop recently. It does not have a date on it, but I would say mid to late sixties. They are mostly classic styles with a few humourous items thrown in for laughs (my laughs anyway). The front cover has a basic attractive Aran pullover knit in knitting worsted on sizes 4 and 10 1/2 needles. The back cover has another basic pullover with color blocking and ribbed detail, but most importantly, that girl has cute hair. That is the haircut I tried to get in high school, but could never quite manage to achieve.









The jacket and cardigan set are knit of knitting worsted in reverse stockinette with a woven-look trim done in a stripe pattern. The woven detail is done last with three strands of yarn embroidered into the stripe pattern.




Here's another pullover and cardigan combo, also done in reverse stockinette. The pullover has raglan sleeves, and the cardigan has set-in sleeves. The cable/lace panel up the fronts is done in stockinette. It is also knit of knitting worsted on size 9 needles.



These sweaters give me the creeps. You'all know I hate those bobbles because they give out unpleasant skin disease vibes. Oh my goodness, these are just as ugly as it gets, to me anyway.




I always thought those big collars looked chic. I have never worn one so I don't know whether they are comfortable or not, but paired with 3/4 sleeves as in the sweater on the right, it really looks nice in a sporty way. It is knit in a rib pattern at 4 sts/inch on Size 10 needles. The jacket is very interesting in that it tries to achieve a high-fashion look. The covered buttons look great, but that belt, which is sewn into the side seams, is made of "plastic leather", and has a bit of the straightjacket look to it.


The weather here has gotten cold at night, though the days are very sunny and pleasant. I am spending most of my time making Christmas presents and ignoring the housework.

No comments: