Friday, November 16, 2007

Retro Knit Friday!


Here's a view of a street over by my childhood home showing the fall colors that we get here in California. It does not compare with the great reds and oranges back East, but it's still lovely in its own way. And besides, the fall color means that it's not 110 degrees outside, so it's all good. They trim the trees away from the power lines, which leads to odd-looking trees like the yellow one in the foreground.


We are still looking at the styles from Fleisher's Volume 91, from 1952. The first page shows a group of three sweaters called 'Round The Clock Sweater Blouses'. The top sweater is shaped like a polo shirt, but is crocheted in a glitter yarn, has the typical 50's Peter Pan collar, and cuffs on the short sleeves. The middle sweater has a lace pattern on the bodice and sleeves set off by a ribbed midriff, cuffs and neckband. The bottom sweater has a modern-looking pattern of blocks of texture against a stockinette background. It is knit on Size 1 and 2 needles at 8 1/2 sts/inch.


The striped top has a diagonal line down the bodice front set off by small squares of color. It is very striking with its short kimono sleeves and bateau neckline. The picture is black and white, of course, but I see this sweater in my mind in navy and white with small red squares. The crocheted top is made up of small granny squares. It requires 165 large squares and 38 half squares. At least it would match absolutely everything in your wardrobe.


These next two are called 'Middy Type Pullovers' for unknown reasons. Maybe it refers to the longer length. I don't understand the fashion of turning up the bottom couple of inches of the sweater, a fashion usually seen on menswear sweaters of the period. This is the first time I have ever seen it on sweaters for women. Other than that, these are lovely classic styles. I especially like the wide ribs of the bottom sweater that turn into cables across the upper chest.


This pattern lets the knitter make a vest or a cardigan. The cardigan has the ribbing knitted around the armholes the same as the vest, and the sleeves are sewn in under the ribbing, leaving the band free. The checkerboard pattern is knit with bobbins.






These are called 'Practical Favorites'. The bottom sweater has appeared before in other volumes and is a typical fine-gauge cardigan with 3/4 sleeves, picot edging, and beaded trim on collar and cuffs. I remember my grandmother trying to get me to sew sequins or beads on a plain cardigan I made in high school and not understanding why I didn't want to do that. The other two cardigans have dolman sleeves. The top sweater has 3/4 sleeves, a shawl collar, and comes only to the waist where it fastens with two large buttons. The middle sweater is knit from side to side. I have always wanted to try that, maybe only on the fronts so that a fairisle pattern would be vertical on either side of the button bands.

I am still working on the husband socks. Looks like I will not have the Must Have Cardigan done for Thanksgiving, seeing as how I have not knit a stitch on it. Oh well.




3 comments:

Alison said...

Hello! I'm so glad you left a comment -- I love looking at old patterns like this. Now I'm going to go and pick around in your archives... :)

Oh, does your copy of The Complete Book of Knitting have a dust jacket on it? If so, I'd love to see it. The jacket was long gone on my copy.

redpajamamama said...

No, I never saw the dust jacket. I can't even remember where I got my copy of the book, but the same patterns appear in some of my early pamphlets.

redpajamamama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.