Friday, October 5, 2007

Retro Knit Friday!

Today is a lovely fall day in the Golden State, and so far today I have only knitted on a set of ribbings for a new sweater. I may also have been down to the sale at Beverly's buying some more yarn. In the not so fun department, I have cleaned the vegetable drawers and walls of the refrigerator, and loaded it up with the veggies I bought this morning. Now feeling virtuous, I am going to pop in the DVD of Unbreakable that I got at the library and finish knitting the ribbings.


Here are some more sweaters from Modern Needlecraft Winter '52. The little pullover is called 'Chenille Blouse'. The instructions just have the directions for the blouse, then it says 'Trim as shown in photograph', which is not very illuminating, if you ask me.





This short coat is called 'Tuxedo Topper' and is knit of knitting worsted. There are pockets and contrast cuffs and lapels. This is the standard swingback coat of the 1950's made special with a little houndstooth trim.







A couple of close-fitting, fine-gauge cardigan blouses, one trimmed in ric-rac and one knit in pattern.










An entire sweater knit of angora. This short jacket has deep cuffs and buttons from the waist to base of the revers. I can remember a ball of angora that my grandmother had in her knitting basket and how soft it was, but I never had anything made of angora myself.


I have the ribbings ready for three more sweaters, and I need to decide on the design for each of the sweaters. I enjoyed making that grey pullover so I think I will make another with a handknit panel. Now I need to pull out a few books and look up some stitches for a decorative panel.




No comments: