Saturday, April 14, 2007

Success


Here's the girl after a hard week at work modeling her new sweater. She complained a bit about having a bad hair day, but all in all, she liked her new sweater and let me photograph her. I was pleased at how it turned out, and have been busy drawing up diagrams for the same sweater in other yarns/gauges. We think we will lengthen it about an inch and try different neck designs and also make a cardigan out of it. She says that I have hit upon the perfect 3/4-length sleeve length, which, for those who are curious, is 11 inches from the beginning of the ribbing to the underarm bindoff. The width of the sleeve at the bicep is about 16.5 inches. During this design process, I looked at a lot of patterns and was amazed at how much sleeve widths vary for the same size sweater. Some were narrow at 15 inches while others went up to 20 inches wide for a regular sweater (not a jacket). I have some purple yarn she likes and some soft green. Once you know it fits, the sky is the limit. One of the design variations I am playing around with is to change the sleeve style from set-in sleeve to raglan, since M likes raglans. I have the design done, but I have discovered that trying to watch mysteries on PBS at the same time you are doing math calculations is problematical.

I don't know what happened to our California spring, it is raining buckets today - in April! I know I am to blame because I spent all day yesterday running the sprinklers on the back yard, uselessly using up gallons and gallons of water for nothing.

No comments: