I had redrafted the sweater using Sweater Wizard, and when you print out a pattern using this software, it includes a yardage estimate. I had plenty of yarn according to this estimate, but the back was just using up so much yarn. I set the sweater aside in my trusty Trader Joes shopping bag, and forgot about it. One day we went on another drive up to Sacramento, and stopping in at Rumplestiltskins, I saw that they still had the yarn in my color. I picked up about 4 more balls of yarn, so now I am feeling better about the whole thing.
In other knitting news, I have started the second Trekking sock and am trudging through the endless plain sock top.