Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back To The Sweaters


There used to be a great yarn shop a few towns down the freeway that I loved, especially because the owner kept a sale bin full of older knitting pamphlets and magazines. Sometimes they were only $1 each, and when that happened, I stocked up on the Sandra magazines, among others. I never intended to use any of the garment patterns, because at that time the style was for the passe and unlamented dropped shoulder, and the sweaters were baggy and unattractive in fit. However, they are a wonderful resource of design possibilities. There are many examples of great panels to put on the front of a cardigan or pullover. I pulled down my stack of Sandra magazines and randomly opened two, one from 1997 and one from 1998 for examples of what I mean. I like the crochet look of the center of this coral-colored panel, and it is framed in cables and a wandering line of YO's.

The yellow sweater has a cable design combined with YO's that give a plant or tree feeling, and the ribbing at neck and hem is very attractive too.

This red one is one of my favorites. I love the way the cable is tucked between the triangle-shaped areas of moss stitch.
So far my new sweaters only exist at the planning stage, but I have the time, and I have the yarn. I have really been using the fuchsia 3/4 sleeve cardigan I made. I find the shorter sleeve length very practical and flattering. And this winter has been very cold. It has been raining for a week now, but the weather gurus say the weekend will be sunny.

No comments: