Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chili Peppers


I did not knit at all this weekend, no wait, I did a few rows on the ribbing for a new pink sweater, but mostly worked on the new afghan. I do not have a lot of afghan experience, having only made one before to use up my scraps. The whole idea of using up my knitting scraps was a complete failure because I ended up buying some of this yarn and some of that yarn, and now have more scraps from the afghan then I did to begin with. But I digress.


I don't do much crochet except as a trim on knitting, and to make white cotton laces, but my MIL makes granny square baby afghans that are really beautiful. It all depends on the quality of workmanship and the colors you choose. Crochet works best at a smaller gauge, I think. Anyhow, I have a dark brown rug and a golden tan sectional couch, but an earthtone color scheme does not thrill me overly much. I wanted to pep it up a bit, to match the Mexican inspired mat I have on a table and another runner on my husband's grandfather's old trunk. I found a variegated yarn in red/red orange/yellow, some acid green, and black for background. I have to make 120 squares, and I try to do one a day, since it is a little boring and I would rather be knitting. I should be done with it before next Christmas at the very latest. It just reminds me of chilis and all good things. Right now I am about 1/6 done with the thing. Someday, I hope to cover the lame extra cushions that came with the couch in red, orange and acid green. Muy bonita! My husband loves to lie on the couch covered by the afghan to watch TV, so it is a necessary living room accessory.
I am not sure what I am going to put on for a border, but I found an extra ball of the green, so it will include that to tone down all the red hotness.

No comments: