Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kufi Cap Experiment

In my quest to make some hats for the rescue mission, I wanted to find some patterns for some hipper hats. M told me about this great book which I found at the bookstore shortly afterwards. It is just full of great hats with a more urban slant. I am finding that it is faster to crochet the hats than to knit them by hand, though I am going to use a combination of the two. I can't wait to try some of these patterns.

I also wanted a pattern for the straight sided kufi cap like that seen in this old pattern from my stash. It is Simplicity 8895, and it was printed in 1996. I thought it would be a good canvas to try out tapestry crochet on the straight sides. I measured the pieces from the pattern, taking off the seam allowance measurements, and came up with a diameter of 7 1/4 inches for the top, and a side depth of about 3 1/4 inches. I crocheted a flat disk in double crochet following this pattern


but putting in extra increase rows until the disk measured 7 1/4 inches or close enough. For me this was 7 rows total from the start with knitting worsted and a Size H hook. Then I followed the directions for making the sides except that I made mine plain double crochet. I wanted the cap to really hug the head, so after crocheting 7 rows on the sides, I picked up a stitch in every stitch around and knit 16 rows of K1, P1 rib with size 6 DP needles. I folded the rib to the wrong side and stitched it down with a neat but not tight overcast stitch.

Now I am trying a new one with a design on the sides. I have just started the sides, and for this one I am doing the sides in single crochet so that I have more rows for the design.

So far I have 3 1/2 hats for the mission. My goal is a dozen but I didn't give myself a time limit.

Here's the new cap in progress:

No comments: