Saturday, January 12, 2013

Royal Blue

The poor Flashy Cardigan is still draped over the back of the couch, waiting for me to sew on its buttons.  In the meantime, I've started another cardigan, a royal blue one which has been waiting years to get on the machine.  Sometimes when I am at loose ends and can't decide what project to start, I just grab a skein of yarn and knit the ribbings by hand for whenever I get around to that sweater.  At the start of this year, I had two sets of ribbings stuck in a bag in the sewing room, a lemon yellow set and the royal blue set.  I have a really pretty pin my daughter made for me that has royal blue beads on it, and I wanted a plain V-neck cardigan to highlight the pin.  I just did a search for royal blue on the blog and see that these poor ribbings have been languishing in their bag since 2009.  Not anymore, though.
The sweater parts are all knitted and ready to assemble. I had the navy blue yarn all ready to go, but I happened to see the ribbings and decided to do that sweater first.  Now that I have done one darkish blue sweater, I'll have to put the navy away until after I knit a brighter color.  Wouldn't want to do two dark blues in a row.  This sweater is the Modified Raglan I drafted, and it will be interesting to see how it fits.

There is some medium gray yarn in the stash, and some leftover mustard yellow yarn, so maybe I'll try out a round yoke design with the main body gray and the patterning in yellow.  So many ideas to try.

UPDATE:  I finished this up and tried it on.  It looked pretty horrible on me especially the experimental neckline design.  The next time my daughter came over, I had her try it on, and it looked very good on her.  Her shoulder line is more square than mine so her frame held up the swearer in a more flattering way.  I gave it to her and she took it home for its first wash.  She said that it softened up nicely the way most Red Heart yarns do.

No comments: