Saturday, February 2, 2013

Round Yoke Sweater

In my long knitting life, I have never really done much Fair Isle knitting.  Always willing to learn a new skill, my next sweater is a round yoke cardigan in dark gray with gold patterning.  I'm using up the leftover yarn from the gold cardigan, but I doubt if I will have enough.  If I have to buy new yarn, I'll make a matching gold hat from the leftovers from that skein.  Using my TNT cardigan pattern, I drafted the first version of a round yoke cardigan.  Don't know yet if it will work out or not, but on the other hand, I'm definitely learning how to do a better job at two-color knitting.

All of the plain stockinette portions were knit on the knitting machine (ribs were done by hand).  The yarn is worsted weight, and the fronts and backs were shaped at the top with short rows.  Short rows are really easy to do on a knitting machine.  I used an old pattern pamphlet I had in the stash for the Fair Isle design, but I moved it around a bit and changed it so much that it no longer looks anything like the original.

At first I thought the pattern knitting was a royal pain, but I seem to be getting into the swing of things, and my tension has certainly improved.  I'm tired of the long, long row, though, and am looking forward to the first decrease round.

No comments: