Monday, January 7, 2013

Enough Yarn?

Nearing the finish line and am half done knitting the last sleeve.  Strangely enough, I might just have enough yarn.  I usually use the regular skeins, which have about 364 yds, and I can get a 3/4-length sleeve cardigan out of three skeins, but these leftover skeins have less yardage because the yarn is variegated.  The variegated skeins have about 280 yds.  Multiplying this out, my usual cardigan takes around 1100 yds, and I should have almost exactly that out of the 4 skeins of variegated yard.  I'm afraid that one of the skeins was a partial skein, though, so it will be a close finish.

I redrafted my set-in sleeve pattern (self drafted) to have raglan sleeves because I was just so tired of setting in the other sleeves.  I did try a raglan sweater on once and it didn't look that great on me, but I am hoping that the lowered neckline and shorter sleeves will help with that.  We'll soon see.  What I'd really like to do is adapt the pattern to have a round yoke because there are all sorts of pretty things you can do with that shape.  I'd probably knit all the stockinette portions on the machine and do the yoke patterning by hand.

No comments: