Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Sweater

This was one of the first new sweaters of the no-computer period. Also of Red Heart, it is a new color called Coral.  It's not really very coral looking, but is a gorgeous color nevertheless.  This is a plain, slightly-fitted, 3/4-length sleeve cardigan with ribbed borders made from a pattern I drafted myself. The ribbing was knitted by hand, and the sweater was knitted on my LK150. The picture above shows the sweater after it has been through the washer and dryer twice.  I wore it for Thanksgiving dinner accessorized with a necklace my daughter made for me for my birthday (or last Christmas):
The focal bead is a Kazuri bead from Africa.  Every time we go to a bead show I buy a few Kazuri beads because they are so beautiful.  It was serendipitous having a perfectly matching necklace in my collection waiting for me to wear.

I had the hardest time finding buttons for this sweater since the color is unusual.  I did have some cream and coral buttons that were never used for a dress I was going to make in the 80's, but I just didn't like the idea of a mostly cream button on the sweater.  Then one day, one of the buttons fell over so that only the bottom side showed, and when I saw that the underside was the perfect solid color, I sewed them on upside down.

I finished the first version of the pullover in hot pink and started another in an aqua color called Turqua.  I'm going to put a V-neck on this one.


No comments: