Saturday, December 22, 2012

African Flower Afghan Border


It's nice to be near the finish line on this afghan.  The border is fairly wide which adds needed inches to the length and width of the afghan.  First I made a row of cream single crochets, then the dc, ch 1 row, then rows of yarns used in the flowers done in sc and hdc.  I looked through my vintage edging books for a lacy edging because I wanted that look and because the striped border tends to curl on itself and needed a heavy edging.  The photo above shows row 1 of the lace edging.  Here's how the completed edging will look:


This is really only a two-row edging and is fun to work.  It has a 'flower' look to it and the scalloped flower is an echo of the petals in the blocks. Here are the instructions, though I replaced all the trs with dcs, and I changed the second row as follows:  2nd Row - * In ch-5 loop make (2-dc cluster, ch 3) twice and cluster, sc in ch-3 sp. repeat from * across. 


It was interesting making hexagons, but I think squares are easier to finish off, so I hunted around for a square version of the African Flower afghan, and will try that next.


No comments: