Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring Is A Lot Of Work

Because the spouse wants to have a large and productive vegetable garden this year to help with the budget, I have had to do less knitting and lots more gardening. My favorite part of gardening, besides eating the produce, is starting the seeds and taking care of the baby plants. Over the years I have accumulated the right equipment, like heating coils to put under the flats, lots of pots and containers (I have trained all the relatives to give me their 'empties'), and the usual garden tools. Sometimes I make my own tools, like two table knives I got at the Goodwill and bent into the right shape to lift out the soil cubes. Here's the scene inside the coldframe this morning. I am going to try and raise lots of lettuce in the coldframe to keep it away from the earwigs and slugs.

The next picture shows the middle garden bed with things just getting started. There are lots of cucumbers (30 or 40 plants), sugar snap peas, shallots, carrots, and beets. I still have lots more onions to set out.

And here is a picture of my arch enemy, one of a gang of marauding squirrels who dig up the lawn and garden and knock my fruit out of the trees. I need to get a Super Shooter (a toy that squirts water) and fill it with a pepper solution to spray up into the trees as a deterent. Notice how he is looking at me so insolently.

No comments: