Friday, February 20, 2009

Retro Knit Friday!

Looking through my boxes of old knitting pamphlets, I found this Capes and Stoles, Book No. 514 from 1957. The cover cape is knit of knitting worsted in a seed stitch, requiring about 20 ounces for the large size. The edges are trimmed with black cord braid and the collar is trimmed with "applique braid". It is knit from the bottom up, and there are side seams and darts sewn in the front top bodice to give it shape.
This green cape below is knit in a puff stitch on size 10 needles. This cape is the same general shape as the cover cape but is knit from the top down and is shorter.

The shawl shown below has crocheted motifs added to a fabric base. The instructions give directions for cutting the tubular jersey for the shawl base to which the motifs and a fringe are added. The motifs and fringe are made of fingering yarn and Knit-Cro-Sheen metallic thread.
The turquoise stole is made from hairpin lace and has an attractively tied fringe.
I have been knitting a lot this week, working on the periwinkle blue cardigan. I made the fronts in one morning and have knit the back already this morning. I hope to finish the sleeves today, too.
The panels were quick to knit by hand. I discovered that it is better to have the second stitch from the inside edge be a knit stitch rather than part of the purl background, because that helps keep the fabric from curling under after seaming.

I have also started in on the next cardigan, knitting the ribbings of a lovely cocoa brown. I think the brown cardigan will be mostly plain with just a few narrow cables up the front like I did on the fuschia cardigan.

No comments: