Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yellow Cardigan Finished

I sewed the buttons on and got all the ends sewn in, and my new yellow cardigan is ready to wear. The first picture is taken in natural light and doesn't show the cornmeal color at all accurately, and the second photo is taken with a flash. The sweater has a lowered front neckline and 3/4 sleeves and is a bit fitted at the sides.
Here's a closeup of the front panels, a lace panel bordered by two-stitch cables. The band needed a little stability added to it, so I made an edging of backwards crochet.

Now that the yellow sweater is done, I have already started the next one, a periwinkle blue. The ribbings are finished and ready to hang on the machine, but I wanted to make small decorative panels up the front edges by hand. This picture shows the start of the panel which has an extra stitch cast on at the inside edge for seaming.
The instructions for this half-diamond cable design came from 'A Treasury Of Knitting Patterns" by Barbara Walker, p. 270, and is called Two-Texture Rib. The instructions did not include directions for the reversed version, so I am just reading the line of instruction backwards and substituting front crosses for back crosses, etc.
My goal with all these cardigans is to upgrade my 'mom' wardrobe of pants and sweatshirts to a more tailored look of pants and colorful 3/4-length sleeve sweaters for wearing around the house. I have been watching 'What Not To Wear', and the hosts frown on the worn-out sweatshirt look, however comfortable and practical it may be. I have finished four sweaters and have 8 more to make.

No comments: