Friday, September 12, 2008

Retro Knit Friday!

Here's the start of a new sweater: the February Lady Sweater. The color is a dark sage green, very dark. I have always liked the sturdy nature of garter stitch and use it for bands a lot, but this will be the first time I have made a sweater with a whole section of garter. Also in its infancy is another new cardigan. I was going to make a yellow one but couldn't find the yellow yarn. Naturally, I found the yarn as soon as I had finished the ribbings for the periwinkle blue. I am not sure yet what design features to put on this blue 3/4-length sleeve cardigan, but I am sure I will think of something. I am waiting for my knitting books to come back from storage so I can use them for ideas.

We are down to the last few pages of the Bear Brand 1949 booklet. The striped vest is knit at 6 sts/inch of knitting worsted. It is very fitted and the biggest size, an 18, only measures 36 inches through the bust of the finished garment with the front buttoned. The edges are finished with single crochet.

This blouse really appeals to me. Wait, I am having a memory flash, and I think I like it so much because it reminds me of a my mother's best dress. This dress was made in the mid-fifties of wool jersey in brown with reverse applique yellow trim. There is something about the contrast trim on this blouse that brings the dress to mind. The edges of this blouse are finished with knitted hems, and the collar is knitted separately and sewn on.

'Brief Interlude' is knit of sport-weight yarn at 7 sts/inch. The pattern stitch is an all-over pattern of cables and rib. The bands are of single crochet.

Also included in the booklet are instructions for three skirts, a straight skirt, ribbed skirt, and 8-gore skirt. All are knit of dress yarn at 8 sts/inch.

Last is the ad from the back cover. Really, it makes this yarn sound terrific - no shrinking or matting and with 'remarkable resilience'. The ad also offered free instructions for the four sweaters shown.

My FIL's birthday is coming up soon, and I have to decide on what kind of cake to make him. He is very fond of a lovely chocolate cake with whipped cream, though I am not sure of the health consequences of all that whipped cream. But then it is only once a year, right? And it seems to me that when you are turning 86 you can eat whatever cake you want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the vintage sweaters! The cake sounds good, too!

-Audrey in Freeport