Monday, August 25, 2008

Back To The Cardigan

Now that we are digging ourselves out of the construction mess, I found that I had lost the two sleeves of the green cardigan. We still have one bedroom to paint, so that closet is still sealed up with dropcloths, and I suspected that the sleeves were stuck in there somewhere. But no, I found them yesterday in a knitting bag in another bedroom, so now I am gung ho to finish this sweater. As you can see in the picture, I have finished knitting the neckband and am sewing it down. Today I am going to start setting in the sleeves.

I have finished one of the Trekking socks and started the other. When I bought the yarn, the color looked all dark red and black, but knitted up it is full of fuchsia and goldy highlights. M has been hinting that I should stop making plain socks and make her some with a stitch pattern, and she suggests Broadripple (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTbroadripple.html). That will be my next sock project.

We seem to be heading into another session of hot weather, perfect for sock knitting. Since I was out of town last week and skipped the retro knit day, I will show one picture from the 1949 booklet. This sweater is named 'Decolletage', and is knit from fingering weight yarn on size 1 and 2 needles. The pattern is written in only one size with a finished bust measurement of 34 1/2 inches. Here's the description: 'Instructions are written for sweater with a low neckline both back and front as illustrated. Changes are given (at end of instructions) for a High Square neck in front and High Neck in back, giving a choice of a high or low neckline either back or front.' There's no picture of the alternate necklines though.


No comments: