Saturday, May 3, 2008

Retro Knit Friday!


We spent this morning going into Oakland to attend the bead show. I did not buy much except for some lovely kasuri beads from Kenya, but I enjoyed taking pictures of the colorful beads. I love African beads, especially the yellow ones, and yellow and blue together is my favorite combination.


I found this Bernat booklet at the thrift store a few weeks ago. It dates back to 1964 and was photographed on the grounds of Blarney Castle, seen in the background in the cover photo. Most of the sweaters are classic in design and most are knit in Blarney Spun, which I think was a knitting worsted weight yarn. The cover shows two shawl-collared cardigans and a lovely aran cardigan.
Also with a shawl collar, this pullover is done in a two-color pattern stitch and has a placket front.






The lace pullover has single-crochet borders and 3/4 sleeves. The yellow basket-weave patterned cardigan has a bias-knit garter stitch border and is worn with that sixties icon, the pillbox hat, which is crocheted.










Two more classically styled pullovers.



A crocheted pullover that wins this week's prize for Ugly! I do hate those bobbles, be they knitted or crocheted.












I am knitting a new hat for the rescue mission using what so far seems to be a very interesting and good pattern I found online:
I like the way there is a turning row for the ribbing and that the ribbing extends into the cap portion past the turning row for better fit on the head. The shaping seems cover a larger area than other caps I have seen, and all in all, it is a nice-looking cap. I am making one in coffee colored acrylic yarn.

No comments: