Monday, March 31, 2008

Ranch Red Complete

It is all finished except for the blocking. It still amazes me that I managed to find matching buttons. I tried it on and the spouse gave it the seal of approval, meaning that it is a more fitted sweater. I don't do a 'pin-it-all-out' blocking like you would do to a wool sweater, I wash it in the machine for the first time and spread it out to dry on a towel somewhere, smoothing it into the shape I want. Sometimes I gently steam it without letting the iron touch the fabric, but you have to be very gentle with acrylic because you can flatten it and remove the 'spring' from the yarn if the temperature is too hot. This is a Red Heart yarn, much maligned in some knitting circles, but I confess, I like it. It washes beautifully and softens with washing. Some knitters object to what they call the harsh feel of it while knitting, but since I use a knitting machine a lot of the time, this does not concern me. I have learned how to treat this yarn to get the best out of it. I like the colors, and I love the price. This sweater took less than 4 skeins of Red Heart Supersaver and with the cost of the buttons, cost me about $10 to make. It will last for years and years and years, wash well, keep me warm, and no moth will every ruin my work. And if a baby ever throws up all over me, as has been known to happen in the past, I will just throw it into the washing machine and dryer. Since my goal is to make a dozen of these sweaters, trying out different techniques and designs, I could not afford to make them in wool at $50 to $100 or more a sweater.

My plan is to have maybe a dozen of these 3/4 sleeve cardigans to wear in the winter and fall when it is chilly in the house. Since I plan to begin working with the polymer clay again soon, the sleeve length will prevent me from getting little bits of clay stuck to my cuffs. I have several books on faux techniques with polymer clay, and I want to try some of them out. I can make some good-looking faux turquoise and amber so far. My daughter, M, makes jewelry and really liked the amber I made for her which I aged with brown acrylic paint and studded with a little faux turquoise. My hope is that if I will supply her with supplies, she will make me some interesting pins to wear on my sweaters. That is why the green cardigan will be plain, so I can wear a pin with it like the ladies of the fifties did with their cardigans.

The spouse and I finally set up my small greenhouse so I can start my seeds for the year. I am pleased with the design of this product, which was not very expensive at all. I think It cost about $100 or so. It seems very well made. This is the Starterhouse, but they make all kinds and sizes. We set it up on a little table to keep out the snails and earwigs. Next to knitting and sewing, I like starting seeds the best.

Spring is galloping along in California. The poppies have just started blooming. One year I threw out some California poppy seeds onto the brick patio and they are gradually seeding themselves all over the yard. The color is fabulous and the velvety feel of the petals is a spring delight.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Also if you are in a tornado and your sweater gets lost in the mud and grime, and you find it, you can just throw it in the wash and it will pop out just fine!

Better living through petroleum!