Saturday, August 18, 2007

Retro Knit Saturday!

This is one of my favorite booklets. I found it first in a little, cluttered antique shop in Benicia. The back cover had had a coupon cut out of it, and several pages were damaged by cutting. But still, I loved it because it reminded me of my mother. I always wished that I could have a better copy of it. Then, one day in Modesto on one of our jaunts to the great used-book store there, a pristine copy of this booklet appeared right on the shelf. And this store usually does not have any knitting pamphlets!

The cover shows simple fine gauge cardigans teamed up with plaid skirts. I never ever knew a mother and daughter who had matching outfits in real life, but it looks cute in a photo. All the sweaters in this booklet from the early fifties are fine gauge and fit rather close to the body. The sleeves are narrower than we are used to today.

The cardigan on the left has a design panel on each side of the front band and the perky fifties silk scarf around the neck. The design with the lower V neckline is called a TV sweater in some booklets.




This is the picture that looks like my mother. Something about the way she is standing and the sweater she is wearing. My father got my mother two cashmere sweaters that I can remember. The first one was a coral color and she wore it for years. We liked to run our fingers over the arms of it when we were little kids, it was so soft. Years later she received one that was an attractive light mustardy yellow to replace the worn out coral one. I have that one in the sewing room, though it belongs to my sister now. She wants me to mend some moth holes in it but my eyes aren't up to the challenge on the fine fine gauge.


Very cute bolero pattern for mom and child with high neckline and 3/4 sleeves.







More standard cardigans and a dressy one with pearl trimming on the collar and cuffs.


Still hot here in the sunshine state. M is coming over tonight and we are going to roast hot dogs and eat golden pineapple. If I had any get-up-and-go I would make some potato salad, but instead I will just fry up some cottage potatoes . Lazy day.

No comments: