Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Mat Coffee Dyed


I looked up coffee dyeing on the internet but in the end, I just used a big pot of water and put in some instant coffee, maybe a little over 1/4 cup.  The solution was heated to the simmer point. The mat was soaking in a bowl of water to make it evenly wet so the dye job would not be spotty, and then, after squeezing out most of the water it went into the pot.  Wish I could tell you how long I soaked it, but truth is I got busy and forgot it, so maybe an hour went by.  After rinsing the mat well in a bowl in the sink with many water changes, it went into the washer to spin.  Now it is on a drying rack and after it is dry it will get a nice pressing to flatten it out.

Before:


After:

I like it, the green is more acidy and less apple, and it matches the background on the cushions better.  Before I dyed it it fit on the table top perfectly, so here's hoping it didn't shrink much.

No comments: