Friday, September 7, 2012

September

My unexpected interest in  crochet continues.  I got this book out of the library, and I am very impressed with Doris Chan and her designs.  They don't have that clunky look crochet garments often have so I decided to actually try one.
 This is the 'Soft Serve' sweater.  I saw a picture of Doris Chan wearing this sweater in pink and she says it is her favorite, most-worn sweater.  I am going to close it with three buttons instead of the tie because I hate ties.  Someone online mentioned making this out of Simply Soft, and that seemed like a good idea because it is drapey and fits the pattern requirements.  I found this pretty apricot color and have already started the yoke.  The instructions could be clearer, but I am figuring it out.

So far, I am finding Simply Soft a pleasure to crochet.  So much more relaxing than thread crochet, and the available colors are wonderful.

We recently celebrated our anniversary.  Both daughters took us out to the Basque Cultural Center in South San Francisco, and I enjoyed it very much.  After dinner, we went over to A's house for dessert.  She had made a chocolate mint pie with whipped cream and it was delicious:

The chocolate pie crust stuck to the pie dish resulting in lots of humorous efforts to pry the pie out.  The effort was worth it, though because the pie was excellent.  Those are mint 0re0s crumbled on top. 

2 comments:

steel breeze said...

I have this book and have made cinnabar. Most of the rest of them are on my to-do list! I've been crocheting lately, it's been too humid to machine knit :)

steel breeze said...

Oh I made one of the vest tops too! :)