Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday

This post isn't about knitting at all, but this week has been full of scary adventures, and I am now hoping for some nice boring days. I never do the shopping thing on the day after Thanksgiving because I have worked in department stores on that day, and hoped to avoid being in any store on that day for the rest of my entire life. However, I saw on the Joann sale circular that the flannel was on sale today for $1.29/yd, and who can resist that?? One of my daughters had an accident last night and had to go to the emergency room (she is fine now), so I decided I needed to do something fun for a change as an antidote to drama. I was in the line at the Joann a few minutes before six this morning. When the people surged into the store, I headed right for the flannels and grabbed nine different prints. Then I went right to the cutting table, got my number ticket, and lo, I was number 1! The mob was already forming around the cutting table, so I was feeling really triumphant to be at the head of the line. In addition to the flannels, which are destined to be made into pajamas for the daughters and myself, I got a couple of apron patterns, a flexible ruler, and a free pair of scissors they were handing out at the door.

When I was waiting in line before the store opened, I got to talking to a nice lady ahead of me in line, and she told me that she had already been to several stores. I guess some were opening at 4 am. She had been to the orange home supply store where mobs of people were buying the 99 cent poinsettias. She told me that some people had carts full of the potted poinsettia plants. I don't think I would get up at 4 am to buy poinsettias.

No comments: