Monday, November 16, 2009

Retro Baby Knits

This great booklet has a lot of useful baby items, the kind that never go out of style. There is no date on the booklet, but it does say Petaluma, California and Milford, Massachusetts, and has zip codes for each city. A quick google tells me that zip codes were introduced in 1963, so the booklet was printed after that date. It is very possible that the designs were created in the 50's since they have the fifties look about them, and companies often reprinted designs.

The first photo shows a helmet and mittens done in a broken rib pattern with knitting worsted. The pattern is written for 6-month, 1-year, and 2-to-3 year sizes. I like the way the mittens have a long cuff and a snug fit at the wrist. The hat shown at the bottom is a beret also knitted from knitting worsted.
I love yoked baby sweaters, and this is a very nice one. It is knitted sideways on size 2 needles at 8 sts/inch. The description says the yoke and cuffs are knitted in Quaker Stitch, which I have never heard of before, but which is as follows:

Row 1: (wrong side) Knit across
Row 2: Purl across
Row 3: Knit across
repeat these 3 rows for the rib pattern.
The booklet also has some cute bootie patterns:

Another yoked baby sweater, this time a pullover. They call it a Baby Sacque.
As I have often thought to myself, I should have a supply of baby items all knitted and ready to go so that there is no rush knitting when a baby arrives. But do I have this wonderful stash of knitted baby items? No, I still do not.

No comments: