Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Retro Knit Dinosaur Attack!

This week we will travel back in time to 1964. I couldn't figure out why the models are posed in front of vicious dinosaurs, but it turns out that the World's Fair in New York was still going on and the photo shoot was done at the Sinclair's Dinosaurs exhibit. The front cover shows a sphere from the fair, too, and a shift dress knitted in Loop Mohair at 4 sts/inch. In the fashion history timeline, this is just before the whole mod fashion, Carnaby Street, Beatles, etc., mini-skirt fashion revolution really got going.

I like the description of this garment: 'Depicting unquestioned approval, this pre-historic friend towers over modern Miss in stunning crocheted jacket with zippered closure.' He doesn't look too friendly to me. The cardigan has a textured, raised-block design at the cuffs, front closure, and neckline.

Apparently the readers of this magazine requested a pattern for a simple cardigan with textured detail, and this is what the magazine provided. It is shown with a ribbed cap that is decorated with many wooden buttons.

Here are two classic designs in knitting worsted weight yarn. The girls' boatneck pullover is knit in a diamond fairisle design with the sleeves cast on to the body. The V-neck pullover has raglan sleeves and panels of a twisted knit design.

These pullovers and vest are also knit of worsted weight yarn.

I have never been to a World's Fair, though both my dad and my father-in-law traveled to the fair in San Francisco back in the 30's when they were kids.

I think summer is on the way out, though we have had a very warm and lovely October. Today I should knit a few token rows on the Monkey socks and maybe I will get enthusiastic about them again.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That first dino isn't so much friendly as hungry. "I have unquestioned approval of eating you and your stunning crochet jacket with zippered enclosure. MMM, woolly."

lol