Sunday, December 23, 2007

Retro Knit Sunday!

Only one more day until Christmas Eve. I have finished all my sewing, the daughter is home for the holidays to do the Christmas baking, so I guess I will wrap the presents. Instead of getting right to it, I will take time for a little blast from the past from Spinnerin Volume 163 (1963). The first picture shows a classic cardigan for men. That model looks a little like Bobby Flay to me. The instructions for this sweater come in three yarn weights, sport, knitting worsted, and bulky. Kind of a Mr. Rogers sweater, but still nice looking.

The red sweater is called 'Daytime Intrigue'. I wonder if it was a chore to have to think of names for all the designs in all the many books Spinnerin put out. Anyway, this is a classic sweater with attractive front detailing with cable and ribs. It is knit in knitting worsted weight yarn at 5 sts/inch on sizes 5,6, & 8 needles.






"Very High Fashion' was a his-and-hers sweater with instructions for sweaters to fit both men and women. It is knit of knitting worsted at 5 sts/inch, and the V-shaped pattern is embroidered on after the sweater is knitted.






This pullover is knit of three different strands of yarn held together. The collar is divided in the front but can be buttoned into a turtle-neck position.


These two are called 'Cheerful Caprice' and 'Unerringly Chic'. His sweater , knit of knitting worsted, also has instructions for a 'Her' version. 'Unerringly Chic' has instructions for the pullover with tab front and one button, and the skirt.


My daughter wishes to make her Christmas cards, so it is time for me to go into the sewing room and try to find my hoard of colored papers. I will try to avoid the usual sewing-room avalanche.

No comments: