Thursday, September 9, 2010

New Socks

I finally got started on some toe-up socks using some sock yarn from my daughter. She recently had creative differences with her stash and got rid of some of her sock yarn. I knit a lot of socks for the other daughter, so I added her rejects to my stash. Here's my freebie yarn:

I am using the Wendy Knits book for the pattern for these socks. I decided to learn new things so tried Judy's Magic Cast-On. I really couldn't figure out the instructions in the book so I looked on the internet, and there are several places where you can see a video showing how to do it. It took three tries before I could get the stitches the way I wanted them to be, but now I am almost to the heel.This Yarn is Knit One Crochet Too Ty-Dy Socks in Color 1767. I'm using size 1 needles with a sock circumference of 72 stitches. I'm not really a fan of the short-row heel so am going to try one of the other kinds. When I use a new kind of sock yarn that I haven't tried before, I keep a record of the number of stitches cast on, size of needles, and number of rows to heel and toe. This way, when I use the yarn again in the future, I have an idea of what works and what doesn't.

No comments: