Saturday, December 27, 2008

New Needlecase

I made another sock needle travel case for my daughter, M, and it turned out even better than the one I made for myself. I used a leftover knitting gauge swatch that happened to be purple and found a pair of purple-handled scissors to put in the implement pockets. I drew out the template for the case on the heavy interfacing using rulers and a bread plate for the curve of the flap. I used this as a pattern for the decorator fabric and the lining.


There is a circle of elastic to hold the "book" closed along with velcro on the flap and at the lower righthand corner. The flap is to keep the sock needles from falling out. The case opens up to show two rows of pockets on the right, and a knitted surface on the left that used to be a gauge swatch to keep the yarn needles, safety pins for row counting, cable needles and a few pins stuck through the knitting.


You can see how much I have improved over the prototype that I made for myself:
Right now I am trying to finish up the husband socks that didn't make the finish line for Christmas. My younger daughter was wearing a really cute sweater this week so she let me take it and take the measurements off of it to reproduce at a later date, so I need to write up a pattern for that. A whole new year of knitting is about to start!

No comments: